Recipe type: Korean
Serves: 3 servings
- Cook sushi rice per package instructions. Season rice to taste with salt and sesame oil. Let cool, cover, and set aside.
- Season the blanched spinach with 2 garlic cloves, salt, and 2 tsp sesame oil.
- Sauté carrots in a pan with oil and season lightly with salt.
- Slice beef into small, thin strips (about 1/4 in x 3 in). Season with 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 garlic clove, black pepper and 2 tsp sesame oil. Cook beef in a pan over medium high heat.
- Whisk 3 eggs and season with salt. Cook egg in a well-oiled pan on low heat. Cut egg into 1/2 in wide strips.
- Place seaweed sheet on bamboo mat to roll (optional). Evenly spread about 3/4 cup of rice over sheet, leaving 2 inches of space uncovered at the top. Place all ingredients in the center of the sheet.
- Using both hands, roll mat/sheet with fillings from bottom to top, pushing firmly into a tight roll.
- Place finished roll aside with the seam of the roll facing down. Finish roll by lightly coating with sesame oil and cut into pieces.
*Note: The filling ingredients can be up to you! Beef is traditional but you can use any type of protein, and change up the vegetables to your tastes. Try chicken katsu or spicy tuna and kimchi!